Type of entity
Authorized form of name
United Church of Canada. Bonne Bay Pastoral Charge.
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Bonne Bay first appeared on the Methodist station list in 1873. Until 1885, Bay of Islands was also associated with the mission, and the title of the mission at times incorporated the names of both areas.
In 1874, Rev. Jabez Hill was appointed pastor for the mission. By 1881, Rev. W. B. Secombe was pastor, and the mission included Curzon Village (Woody Point), Shoal Brook, Rocky Harbour, Trout River, and French Point. By 1887, Rev. T. B. Darby was pastor, and he was supplied with a lay agent, John Campbell, to help in ministering to the geographically extensive mission, which stretched one hundred and fifty miles between Bonne Bay and St. Anthony.
The first Methodist church was completed at Curzon Village in 1887. It was replaced in 1925 with a new structure, Woody Point United Church, the new name reflecting both the Church Union and the community name change. Today, the church is known as St. Andrew's United Church. A church at Shoal Brook was completed in 1887 during the pastorate of Rev. Darby. By Church Union in 1925, a new church had also been built in that community.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 7, 2013