Type of entity
Authorized form of name
United Church of Canada. Botwood Pastoral Charge.
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In the early days of Methodism in Botwood, (which was known as Ship Cove then), Botwood was a part of the Exploits Mission, with the minister or missionary stationed at Exploits. This mission had many subdivisions over the course of time.
In 1889 the Exploits Mission was divided, and the Exploits Bay Mission was formed, with preaching appointments at Burnt Bay (Lewisporte), Indian Arm, Loon Bay, Scissors Cove, Kite Cove (Laurenceton), and Ship Cove (Botwood). The first minister under the boundary set up in 1889 was Rev. James Nurse. Rev. Frank Hollett was the first ordained minister stationed at Botwood. In 1898, this mission appears in the Minutes as Botwoodville.
Rev. C.R. Durant was appointed to the charge in 1905. It was during his pastorate that the first Methodist church was built at Botwood. The foundation for the Methodist church was laid in September 1905 and it was opened for worship on April 2, 1906. During this time, Laurenceton was added to the circuit name and it was named Botwoodville and Laurenceton pastoral charge. Northern Arm was also an appointment of this circuit. Laurenceton appears as a separate mission in 1918; It was during the pastorate of the Rev. W. Edgar Mercer from 1924, that the Methodist Church of Botwood became a part of the United Church of Canada. Shortly after the union of churches, plans were laid at Botwood for a new church with twin towers. The new structure was dedicated in 1928 while Rev. Mercer was still pastor.
For about twenty-five years after The Methodist Church in Newfoundland became part of The United Church of Canada, many of the features of Methodism continued - the prayer meeting, in some places class meeting, the annual Missionary Meeting, and in most churches, the Order of Service of the 1914 Methodist Discipline was followed. The Women's Organizations and Circuit Boards were continued for thirty-five years inmost congregations. There was a strong emphasis on Christian Education, and new organizations - Explorers, Trail Rangers, Tuxis and Newfoundland Girls in Training were formed. The Methodist Organization, The Epworth League for young adults, continued for some years, but later the name was changed to The Young People's Society.
The old official boards of the Methodist Church weren't dissolved until 1934 and new ones were appointed according to the manual of the United Church of Canada.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 25, 2013