Title and statement of responsibility area
W.W. Wareham & Sons Ltd. fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Supplied title based on contents of fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- W.W. Wareham & Sons
Physical description area
10.75 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
W.W. Wareham & Sons Ltd. was a fish and fishery supply business operating at Harbour Buffett, Long Island, Placentia Bay, from 1922-1967. It operated successfully until the resettlement program of 1967 forced its closure.
The business was purchased by Wilfred William Wareham, Haystack, from Thomas Wakely in 1922. The firm had originally been established circa 1812 by Thomas Hann, an English merchant who came to Placentia to act as a supplier for the fishery. During its 45 year history, W. W. Wareham and Sons operated mainly as fish merchants, buying fish and supplying fishermen with fishing gear and provisions. They operated bankers in the fishery but did not own any foreign-going vessels. Wareham was a member of the Newfoundland Associated Fish Exporters Limited (NAFEL) and was involved in the salt fish industry, buying fish from the other commuities in the area and selling through the central agency.
As well as the operation at Harbour Buffett where the fish was collected and dried, Wareham's operated a branch at North Harbour, managed by Don Slade, and an office in St. John's managed by Harry Wareham. Other sons of W.W. Wareham, Leeland and Fred, administered the headquarters at Harbour Buffett.
When Harbour Buffett was resettled in 1967, the business records were abandoned. Dr. Wilfred Wareham returned to Harbour Buffett and collected what was salvageable and arranged, with his father's permission, to have the material stored at the Maritime History Archive, until a formal donation was made.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of the business records of the firm of W.W. Wareham & Sons Ltd. The majority of the records cover the last 15 years that the firm was operating in Placentia Bay, 1950s-1967, and provide a fairly complete record of the business. The fonds includes financial records, ledgers, journals, stock books, cash accounts, branch and trade accounts; correspondence from suppliers and customers; schooner accounts, fish collection books, fish purchases and sales, production statistics and labour records.
Fonds is arranged in 6 series: Correspondence, 1934-1962; Financial records, 1949-1967; Shipping and fisheries, 1934-1966; Employment, 1949-1961; Personal records, 1947-1949; Miscellaneous, 1966.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from Wilfred Wareham.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access to or use of the materials in this collection. Users should be aware that copyright rules and regulations may apply to some parts of this collection.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid # 5.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 30, 2013
Language of description