Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1874-1919, predominant 1876-1888 (Creation)
- William Waterman & Co.
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The firm of William Waterman & Co. operated as general fish merchants in Fogo, Twillingate, Change Islands, and Nipper's Harbour in Notre Dame Bay, Newfoundland from the 1860s to the 1890s. It purchased fish, cod oil, and seal pelts, and provided supplies through its general stores. During the 1870s, Waterman paid more duties than any other merchant operating in the Fogo-Twillingate area, an indication of the extent of its operations. The company equipped 46 schooners for the Labrador fishery in 1880, and 41 in 1890.
William Waterman was an agent and partner in the Twillingate firm of William Cox & Co., which was a successor to the firm originally established by John Slade of Poole in the eighteenth century. In the 1860s, Waterman purchased the firm, which was renamed William Waterman & Co. by 1867. The headquarters of the firm appear to have been at Fogo in the 1870s, but may have been moved to Twillingate around 1887. During the 1870s, the firm was owned in partnership by Thomas Dorman Hodge, Richard Dorman Hodge, William Waterman, and William Edward Waterman.
The Waterman firm may not have survived the 1894 bank crash, for by 1900, much of its property at Fogo and Twillingate was in the hands of J. W. Hodge, who had previously been Waterman's agent at Tilting.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of some of the surviving records of William Waterman & Co. of Fogo, Change Islands, and Twillingate, Newfoundland, which concentrate on 1876-1888. The material from Fogo includes ledgers, journals, daybooks and correspondence for the business at Fogo and Change Islands. The correspondence mostly consists of letters and invoices between the company and W. H. Mare, Son and Co., ship brokers of St. John's. The material from Twillingate includes an inventory ledger and an account book "in account with" W. H. Mare, Son and Co.
The fonds is organized in two series by location of the company branches: Fogo, 1874-1919; and Twillingate, 1881-1890.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description