Fonds - Women's Patriotic Association. Trinity Branch, fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Women's Patriotic Association. Trinity Branch, fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1918-1995 (inclusive), 1939-1945 (predominant) (Creation)
    Creator
    Women's Patriotic Association. Trinity Branch (Trinity, N.L.)

Physical description area

Physical description

8 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1914-1948)

Administrative history

The Women’s Patriotic Association (WPA) was formed in 1914 by Lady Davidson, wife of the governor of Newfoundland. Its purpose was to provide assistance to men serving overseas and to dependents at home, by knitting garments, preparing bandages and raising funds for materials. The WPA was dissolved in 1921, but was re-formed in 1939 under the direction of Lady Walwyn. The Trinity branch was formed at that time.

From 1939 to 1945 members of the branch made quantities of knitted goods for men serving overseas. The branch remained active throughout the period of the second World War. In 1948 the Association disbanded. Any remaining funds were donated to the Red Cross Society.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds represents the Trinity branch of the WPA in Newfoundland, and consists of two printed annual reports of the WPA, Newfoundland, 1918 and 1945, a small amount of correspondence, knitting patterns and records of material issued and work returned. There is also a file of news clippings relating to members of the armed forces from the Trinity area, including some obituaries. The fonds was assembled by Rupert Morris and contained some items which have been removed.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated to the Trinity Historical Society by Rupert Morris.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright status and clearance.

Finding aids

No finding aid available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Items removed from the fonds are: a photocopy of a chart entitled "Vessels lost by enemy action, 1939-1945"; Fred Mifflin, MP for Bonavista Trinity Conception, Report 24 re July 1st 1996 memorial in France; Newfoundland and Labrador, 400 Years Later: a statistical portrait, St. John's, 1983.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 7, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area