Title and statement of responsibility area
Amalgamated School fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Amalgamated School fonds
Physical description area
30 cm textual records, 13 black and white Polaroid photographs (2.5 x 3) of the official opening
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Amalgamated School, Bay Roberts opened in January 1949. The school had an enrollment of 225 Anglican and United Church pupils. It replaced the United Methodist Church School (Snowden Hall) and the Church of England School (St. Matthew’s Hall). Premier J.R. Smallwood officially opened it. The exterior was built entirely of concrete blocks manufactured by Dawe’s Dunbrick, Clarke’s Beach and was constructed by Chester Dawe Ltd., St. John’s. The Premier told the people that their combined effort in raising the magnificent school was a credit, not only to themselves, but to the whole of Newfoundland. Eventually, the schools in Mercer’s Cove and French’s Cove closed and those students attended Amalgamated. In 1991, a new school was built and pupils from Georgetown to Bay Roberts attended. Thus, the old Amalgamated School closed. It has since been demolished. Initially the school had its own board. Later under consolidation, it came under the Avalon North Integrated Board and more recently the Eastern School District.
Ninety percent of the records were acquired from the Chair of the school alumni reunion committee, Mr. George Bishop, who had maintained them. Former pupils donated the remaining ten percent.
Scope and content
The fonds are arranged in series: 1. Artifacts 2. Photographs 3. 4 Books 5. Video Cassettes 6. Registers 7. Financial Records
- Student Newspapers 9. Binder of miscellaneous items such as program, certificates, etc. The material covers the early beginnings of the school to its closing in 1991. It covers special events and activities in the lives of the pupils. The textual records consist of 12 school registers dating from 1949- 1980; high school club account books, scholarship chequebook noting names of winners. The photographs are of staff, student school projects, and events. The 4 videos are primary grade concerts and elementary speech night activities. The binder has samples of report cards and student transfer slips, etc. The artifacts consist of school crests, guest books, one hockey stick, hockey cup, school seal and stamp, typewriter and strap.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds are arranged in series as follows: 1. Artifacts 2. Photographs 3. Videos 4. Registers 5. Financial Information
- Student Newspapers 7. Books 8. Other materials.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are restrictions to the fonds. Confidentiality restrictions may apply. Permission must be obtained to reproduce, if applicable. Acknowledgement must be given to the Bay Roberts Heritage Society.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid 0406 shelf
Further accruals are not expected.