Fonds - Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

7.0 m textual and other records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1963 -)

Administrative history

St. Augustine’s parish was established as a result of the post-war housing boom in St. John’s. In the mid-1950s the Anglican School Board of St. John’s had constructed an elementary school, Brinton Memorial, in the newly developed Churchill Park residential area. The nearest parish to Churchill Park was the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist in downtown St. John’s. By early 1957 arrangements had been made for a Sunday school to be held at Brinton Memorial, which was more readily accessible on foot. An extract from the Cathedral Vestry minutes of March 6, 1957 indicates that a Sunday school was already in place and that plans were being made to hold regular church services at Brinton during Lent. An unfinished room at the school was completed for use as a chapel and dedicated on January 6, 1958 by Bishop Meadon as the Chapel of the Epiphany. Regular Sunday services were conducted from that date, and by April 1959 an Altar Guild had been established to serve the new chapel.
The Mission Parish of St. Augustine was established in 1963. The first service in the newly constituted parish was held on August 4, and on September 17 the new parish officially came into being with the first parish meeting.
Meetings and services for the Mission Parish of St. Augustine’s continued to be held in Brinton Memorial School, first in the basement chapel and then in a new auditorium constructed for the purpose and opened in 1965. Meanwhile, negotiations for a permanent home for the congregation continued, culminating in the acquisition of a parcel of land on Elizabeth Avenue. Construction of the new church began in June of 1968 and the building was dedicated on March 2 1969. According to Synod regulations, construction debts on the church building had to be paid before it could be consecrated: this was accomplished and St. Augustine’s was consecrated on May 31, 1981.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of vital statistics, Vestry minutes, correspondence, financial records and parish lists of St. Augustine=s parish. Fonds also contains minutes, correspondence and financial records of the various Vestry committees and of various autonomous organizations of the congregation.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

An examination of the records at the series level reveals the impact of various personal administrative styles on the shape of the administrative record. Discussion of this phenomenon appears at the series and sub series level where applicable.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to some sensitive material may be restricted. Consult archivist

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Available to the sub-series level

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres