Title and statement of responsibility area
Vestry records, STA- 01
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1963 - ? (Creation)
- Anglican Parish of St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. John's, NL
Physical description area
90 cm textual record
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Augustine’s parish was established as a result of the post-war housing boom in St. John’s. In the mid-1950s the Anglican School Board of St. John’s had constructed an elementary school, Brinton Memorial, in the newly developed Churchill Park residential area. The nearest parish to Churchill Park was the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist in downtown St. John’s. By early 1957 arrangements had been made for a Sunday school to be held at Brinton Memorial, which was more readily accessible on foot. An extract from the Cathedral Vestry minutes of March 6, 1957 indicates that a Sunday school was already in place and that plans were being made to hold regular church services at Brinton during Lent. An unfinished room at the school was completed for use as a chapel and dedicated on January 6, 1958 by Bishop Meadon as the Chapel of the Epiphany. Regular Sunday services were conducted from that date, and by April 1959 an Altar Guild had been established to serve the new chapel.
The Mission Parish of St. Augustine was established in 1963. The first service in the newly constituted parish was held on August 4, and on September 17 the new parish officially came into being with the first parish meeting.
Meetings and services for the Mission Parish of St. Augustine’s continued to be held in Brinton Memorial School, first in the basement chapel and then in a new auditorium constructed for the purpose and opened in 1965. Meanwhile, negotiations for a permanent home for the congregation continued, culminating in the acquisition of a parcel of land on Elizabeth Avenue. Construction of the new church began in June of 1968 and the building was dedicated on March 2 1969. According to Synod regulations, construction debts on the church building had to be paid before it could be consecrated: this was accomplished and St. Augustine’s was consecrated on May 31, 1981.
Mr. Gordon Thomas conducted much of the early parish correspondence. Mr. Thomas had been active in church affairs at the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist before the creation of St. Augustine's Parish. As Rector's Warden of St. Augustine's Parish from 1963 to 1973 and, to a lesser extent, as secretary to Vestry from 1976 to 1981, he was involved in most parish business during his tenure of office. Mr. Thomas' formal administrative style and his access to professional secretarial service ensured the maintenance of even the smallest details of the church's life and work.
During Mr. Thomas' years in office the parish correspondence was maintained in a filing cabinet in his home: this was subsequently turned over to the parish. After Mr. Thomas' tenure, Vestry correspondence is less extensive.
Scope and content
Series consists of four sub series:
STA-01-01 Minutes of Vestry, 1963- ;
STA-01-02, Minutes of annual parish meetings, 1963- ,
STA-01-03 Correspondence, 1963- ; Mr. Gordon Thomas conducted much of the early parish correspondence. Mr. Thomas had been active in church affairs at the Cathedral Parish of St. John the Baptist before the creation of St. Augustine=s Parish. As Rector=s Warden of St. Augustine=s Parish from 1963 to 1973 and, to a lesser extent, as secretary to Vestry from 1976 to 1981, he was involved in most parish business during his tenure of office. Mr. Thomas= formal administrative style and his access to professional secretarial service ensured the maintenance of even the smallest details of the church=s life and work.
During Mr. Thomas= years in office the parish correspondence was maintained in a filing cabinet in his home: this was subsequently turned over to the parish. After Mr. Thomas= tenure, Vestry correspondence is less extensive.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals expected