Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anglican Parish of St. Mary the Virgin, St. John's, NL
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The story of The Church of St. Mary The Virgin begins in the early 1850's when it was recognized that the Cathedral was overcrowded. A new church was built on South Side Road and on June 24, 1859, St. Mary's Church was consecrated by Bishop Feild. The original building was extended as the parish population grew until its seating capacity reached approximately 450. By the 1950's St. Mary's Congregation had outgrown the old church and land was procured on Craigmillar Avenue for the building of a new church ministry complex. It was opened December 23, 1962 and consecrated October 30, 1966.
St. Mary's Parish also includes a daughter congregation on Shea Heights. Named St. Peter on the Rock by Bishop Seaborn, the present church was built in 1996 and consecrated by Bishop Harvey.