Zona de identificação
tipo de entidade
Forma autorizada do nome
Anglican Parish of St. Mary the Virgin, St. John's, NL
Forma(s) paralela(s) de nome
Forma normalizada do nome de acordo com outras regras
Outra(s) forma(s) do nome
identificadores para entidades coletivas
área de descrição
datas de existência
The story of The Church of St. Mary The Virgin begins in the early 1850's when it was recognized that the Cathedral was overcrowded. A new church was built on South Side Road and on June 24, 1859, St. Mary's Church was consecrated by Bishop Feild. The original building was extended as the parish population grew until its seating capacity reached approximately 450. By the 1950's St. Mary's Congregation had outgrown the old church and land was procured on Craigmillar Avenue for the building of a new church ministry complex. It was opened December 23, 1962 and consecrated October 30, 1966.
St. Mary's Parish also includes a daughter congregation on Shea Heights. Named St. Peter on the Rock by Bishop Seaborn, the present church was built in 1996 and consecrated by Bishop Harvey.