The fonds consists of photocopies of baptisms, marriages and burials for the Parish of Bonavista, 1786 - 1834 and an original register of marriages for a variety of churches on the Bonavista Peninsula, mostly from the Bonavista Bay area, 1825 - 1835. The first part of the record contains a handwritten note on the Marriage Act as passed by Parliament in the Fifth year of George IV, Chapter LXVIII, Section VI. According to the law anyone performing a marriage after March 25, 1825 is supposed to deliver to either the Secretary of the Governor or to the incumbent or officiating minister of some church or chapel of the established church of England in the towns of St. John’s, Harbour Grace or Trinity a certificate of marriage. This is then to be entered into a marriage register and is to be kept at that site.
Anglican Parish of Bonavista (Bonavista, N.L. : Anglican)