Fonds - Britannia Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Britannia Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1879-1990 (Creation)
    United Church of Canada. Britannia Pastoral Charge. (N.L.)

Physical description area

Physical description

19 cm of textual records
1 photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Britannia pastoral charge includes communities of Aspen Brook, Snooks Harbour, Elliott's Cove and Weymouth. It was first mentioned in the writings of Rev. T.W. Atkinson in 1876 when he reported that he had preached at the new church at Britannia Cove. For a number of years Britannia land Foster's Point were combined to form the Britannia and Foster's Point pastoral charge.

In 1902, a new church was dedicated at Britannia Cove and in 1911 a new church was opened at Foster's Point. Boundary changes within the pastoral charges over the years had many small communities popping in and out of the Britannia pastoral charge . The Minutes of 1920 stated that Britannia was to include all placed on Random South that wasn't included in the Shoal Harbour Mission. These communities included Britannia, Foster's Point, Hickman's Harbour and Lady Cove.

At the time of the union of the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches to form the United Church of Canada in 1925, Britannia was still connected with Foster's Point and the charge had a membership of 184 families with seven preaching points. By 1935, Britannia was a entity onto itself and the minister was administering to six preaching places.

In recent years some churches on Upper Random Island were beginning to need costly repairs, some congregations were growing smaller and it was becoming harder and harder to keep all churches open. Transportation was now no longer a problem so the idea of uniting congregations began.

In 1986 a survey was made among the congregations, and, after much consideration and soul searching, the communities of Aspen Brook, Snooks Harbour, Elliott's Cove and Weybridge decided to unite, to form one congregation, and build a new church, centrally located.

The closing of the four churches brought sadness to many people, but it was with joy and much pride they attended the official opening and dedication of Central United on June 25, 1989. With the new church have come many wonderful things: a growing Sunday School, an active U.C.W., a choir, and good attendance at every service. By the side of the Central is a platform where rests four bells, a testimony to the four small churches whose congregations have become one to worship God and grow in fellowship together.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consist of records pertaining to the Britannia Pastoral Charge. These records relate to the activities of the Charge and its functional bodies. The majority of the records are in the form of minutes, financial records and vital statistics.

Fonds are arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records, 1879-1966; Membership Records, 1916-1957; Board and Committee Records, 1908-1981; Education, 1925-1981; Funds and Congregational Financial Records, 1925-1979; Youth Groups Records, 1932-1963; Women's Groups Records, 1974-1980; Sunday School/Sabbath School Records, 1925-1967; Annual Report, 1990; Miscellaneous Correspondence.

Some of the material of this fonds does not appear to have been created in the pastoral charge but was collected around the theme of the pastoral charge.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid is available.

Associated materials

Other records relating to the Britannia Pastoral Charge may be found in the Musgravetown pastoral charge record and also in the private papers of N. Winsor.

Related materials


Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 22, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area