Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité
Holy Redeemer Parish (Trepassey, N.L.) fonds
Dénomination générale des documents
- Document textuel
Trepassey Parish Collection
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
- Source du titre propre: Title based on Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001
Niveau de description
Zone de l'édition
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
Zone des dates de production
- Holy Redeemer Parish ( Roman Catholic), Trepassey (NL)
Zone de description matérielle
6 cm of textual records
Zone de la collection
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Zone de la description archivistique
Nom du producteur
Holy Redeemer Parish was established ca. 1845. Prior to the establishment of Holy Redeemer Parish, communities from Renews to Cape St. Mary's were part of Assumption Parish, established in 1834. Currently this parish includes the communities of Portugal Cove South, Biscay Bay, Trepassey and St. Shotts, with Trepassey as the ecclesiastical center of the parish.
When Holy Redeemer Parish was initially created in 1845, it also included the smaller settlements of Cape Race, Long Beach, the Drook and Cape Pine. In the 1960s, the people of Long Beach and The Drook resettled in Trepassey and the families living at Cape Race and Cape Pine eventually moved to nearby communities; The first parish priest of Holy Redeemer Parish was Rev. Jeremiah O'Neill (1845-1861). While the exact date of the construction of the first church is not known, a description by Captain Brown of the H.M.S. Danae (1871) notes the presence of a "neat Roman Catholic Church" However, as the first school in Trepassey was opened in 1841, one can assume that a church had been built by that time. The Presentation Sisters and established a Convent School in Trepassey in 1882.
Catholic chapels and schools were constructed in other communities within the Holy Redeemer Parish. The first church in Portugal Cove was constructed prior to 1861 as a report on schools noted that the first school was established in 1861 and was conducted in the Catholic chapel. By 1875, a new school was under construction. Catholic schools were established in Daniel's Point prior to 1875 , Biscay Bay [ca. 1883] and in The Drook by 1911. The first school was built in St. Shotts prior to 1911 followed by the construction of a school-chapel in 1913.
With the consolidation of school boards in 1967, Trepassey accommodated high school students from the surrounding communities. When the new Holy Redeemer Elementary school opened in 1971, smaller schools in the surrounding areas were closed, although the school in St. Shotts, remained open.
Pastors who have served Holy Redeemer Parish include Jeremiah O'Neill (1845-1861), John Ryan (1862-187?), Thomas Hannebury (1871-), J.A. Dunne (-1948), Francis Mullowney (1948-1988). List is incomplete.
Historique de la conservation
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists of financial statements (1915-30); parish boundaries (1982, 1985); parish land documents (1952-76); and parish business correspondence (1948-76); Fonds also consists of some documentation concerning the establishment of the Confraternity of Saint Anne, affiliated with the Sodality to the Archconfraternity of Saint Anne de Beaupre; Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities
Zone des notes
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Parish records acquired from Holy Redeemer Parish. Additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Note de langue et graphie
English predominates. Two Latin documents included.
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Instruments de recherche
Box list is available.
See Assumption Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of Holy Redeemer Parish. Also consult the Holy Trinity Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of Assumption Parish.
Further accruals are not expected on a regular basis but the fonds remain open for the transfer of any additional material that may be forwarded.
Zone du numéro normalisé
Mots-clés - Lieux
Mots-clés - Noms
Mots-clés - Genre
Zone du contrôle
Identifiant de la description du document
Identifiant du service d'archives
Règles ou conventions
Niveau de détail
Dates de production, de révision et de suppression
Created - April 22, 2013
Langue de la description