Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Cape Broyle Parish
- Source of title proper: Title based on correspondence in the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Immaculate Conception Parish (Cape Broyle, N.L. : Catholic)
Physical description area
1 photograph: b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Immaculate Conception Parish was established in 1934 and included the communities of Brigus South, Admiral's Cove and Cape Broyle. Prior to this date these communities were part of Holy Trinity Parish. Immaculate Conception Parish did not always have a resident priest and was frequently administered by the parish priest in Ferryland. In 1998, Immaculate Conception Parish was canonically suppressed, along with Holy Trinity Parish (Ferryland) and Holy Apostles Parish (Renews). The communities of these parishes, from Brigus South to Cappahayden, formed the new Holy Family Parish.
The first church in Cape Broyle was constructed circa 1816. It was a small chapel that was built in the middle of the old cemetery. A man named Edward Burgess built the church and Bishop Lambert laid the corner stone. This church was taken down in 1849 and a second one built in the 1850s. In 1894, this church was also removed a third church was built in 1872 by Bishop Michael Howley. The current church was built between 1946-1947 by Rev. Michael Kennedy. The church that was built by Howley was turned into the Community Centre.
The small chapels at Admiral's Cove and Brigus South were also built under the direction of Rev. Kennedy. In 1951, Rev. Kennedy completed the church at Brigus South that Rev. A. Maher had started thirty-one years ago. As well, in 1964, the church at Brigus South was blessed and titled The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. A new church was built at Admiral's Cove in 1955 and was called The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Brigus South had it's first school established in 1844 but it closed in 1848 with the notion of saving money for repairs or to build a new school. The school was opened again in 1855 but it was in a rented house which the school board bought in 1859.
The first school in Admiral's Cove opened around 1866 and was in a shed that had been converted into a school-house. The school closed in 1870 but was re-opened by 1883. Admiral's Cove go a new school built in 1904.
Both the Brigus South and Admiral's Cove schools were phased out with the consolidation of schools in the late 1960's. The primary and elementary children were then bussed to the school in Cape Broyle and the high school students went to Baltimore Regional High School in Ferryland.
An 1984 article from the Monitor, written by a parishioner, says that the biggest organization in their parish was the Parish Council which was made up of about fourteen members. This Council was responsible for the activities of the parish. Aside from the council, there was also an altar society that played an active part in the church; extraordinary ministers; readers; collectors; altar boys; a choir, and, at that time, a 200th anniversary committee. As well, the article mentions that there was a bingo committee which governed six smaller bingo committees and a committee for regular weekly card games that was ran by all the women in the parish with small groups responsible for each game. The senior citizens were also organized and held their own functions. Correspondence in the fonds also mentions the Holy Name Society and a "Ways and Means Committee" that looked after such things as raising funds for a parish centre.
The parish priests who served Immaculate Conception Parish are Rev. Michael Kennedy (1934-1968), Rev. Hubert Whelan (1969-1971), and Rev. D. P. Murphy (1971-1973). As well, Immaculate Conception Parish had the following administrator's: Rev. John Corrigan (1973-[1977?]); Rev. Dermot McGettigan (1982-1983); Rev. Edward Sutton (1983-1985); Rev. John McGettigan (1990-1996); and Rev. Paul Lundrigan (1996-1998).
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description