Fundo - John Rorke & Sons Limited fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

John Rorke & Sons Limited fonds

Designação geral do material

  • Documento textual

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título(s) de declaração(ões) de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Source of title proper: Title is based on legal documentation

Nível de descrição


Código de referência

Zona de edição

Declaração de edição

Declaração de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Declaração de escala (cartográfica)

Declaração de projeção (cartográfica)

Declaração de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Declaração de escala (arquitetural)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação


  • 1879-1933 (Produção)
    John Rorke and Sons

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

2.5 m of textual records

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título da editora

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Declaração de responsabilidade em relação à série editora

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor


História administrativa

John Rorke & Sons Limited (1839-1980) was a family mercantile firm, located in Carbonear, Newfoundland, which engaged in the Labrador fisheries and the import-export trade of the Colony, later expanding into the retail trade.

The company was founded by John Rorke (1807-1896). Rorke emigrated to Newfoundland (1824) from Athlone, Ireland, as a clerk in the fishery supply and general trade firm of Bennett and Ridley, Harbour Grace. By 1830, Rorke had married Mary Tocque (Carbonear), daughter of prominent local merchant and had become a planter-trader in the fishery at Adam's Cove, just north of Carbonear. In 1839 Rorke purchased the former Slade & Elson mercantile premises in Carbonear. Rorke opened two Labrador branches at St. Francis Harbour and Venison Island to conduct trade with the numerous migratory summer fishermen-floaters (fishermen in schooners) and stationers (crews that fished from shore stations) that went to the Labrador coast each year from Newfoundland; Rorke also became involved in politics, and he was elected as the member for the Carbonear district six times (1863-78). He was a member of Frederick B.T. Carter's pro-confederate slate (1869) and served in the Whiteway administration (1878). Rorke was appointed to the Executive Council in 1879 and remained there until his death in 1896.

Throughout its history, the business remained a family enterprise. Rorke's sons, John and James, joined the firm in 1880, assuming control of the business following the death of their father (1896). By 1920 James Rorke's sons, John and James (grandsons of John Rorke Sr.) had also entered the company. In 1929 the firm was incorporated as John Rorke and Sons Limited.

Although the company remained a family business, its operations changed over the decades. Until 1919, the firm was primarily involved in operating and supplying vessels in the Newfoundland seal hunt and in the Labrador cod fishery although it also engaged in the import-export trade of the island. Between 1839 and 1920, the firm registered 48 vessels in Newfoundland, ranging from 50 to 150 tons. In 1919 the firm began to purchase its supplies ans to sell its fish and other export staples though St. John's mercantile firms. In 1929 the Rorkes established a separate operation known as the Rorke Fish and Coal Company Ltd., which specialized in marketing Labrador cured codfish and fresh and pickled salmon, and selling coal for domestic use. The company also operated a retail general store on Water Street in Carbonear.

In 1980 the company ceased operations and its assets were liquidated in the following year (1981). The Rorke premises, considered among the best preserved examples of mercantile establishments in the province, were donated to the town of Carbonear by the family. In Febraury 1988 the Rorke Stores became Registered Heritage Structures.

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

Fonds consists of correspondence and shipping papers for the company operations, 1879 -1933. Material of particular interest is the correspondence and accounts of C. T. Bennett of Bristol, which illustrates the complexities of the marketing structure and the economic factors which affected the salt fish industry as well as providing insight into the day-to-day operations of the business. The fonds also includes vessel expenditures and charter parties. The architect's specifications for the building of the Stonehouse on Water Street, Carbonear, are contained in the correspondence for 1907.

The fonds is arranged in four series: Correspondence, 1880-1933; Financial records, 1879-1920; Shipping records, 1881-1923; Miscellaneous bound volumes, 1892-1920.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

Material was donated to the Maritime History Archive in 1990 by Alan Cass, officer of the Carbonear Historical Society.


Much of the material was in its original folders so that it was possible to discern an existing order, although an attempt had been made at rearrangement at some period during its history. Most of the correspondence from 1918 to 1930, conformed to its original arrangement. The remaining correspondence was loose for the most part. Schooner disbursements were either in packages or envelopes, and most of the accounts of sales were in envelopes. The order that was imposed on the collection through this arrangement followed as closely as possible the form and function of the material itself

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Sistema de escrita do material

    Localização de originais

    Disponibilidade de outros formatos

    Restrições de acesso

    There are no restrictions on access to the material. Copyright is held by the creator or his/her heirs.

    Termos de uso que regem, reprodução e publicação

    Instrumentos de descrição

    Finding aid is available.

    Materiais associados

    Materiais relacionados


    Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

    Número normalizado

    Número normalizado

    Pontos de acesso

    Pontos de acesso - Nomes

    Pontos de acesso de género

    Zona do controlo

    Descrição do identificador do registro

    Identificador da instituição

    Regras ou convenções



    Nível de detalhe


    Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

    Created - May 10, 2013

    Idioma da descrição

    • inglês

    Sistema de escrita da descrição


      Área de ingresso