Fonds - Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish (Norris Arm, Newfoundland) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish (Norris Arm, Newfoundland) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: Also known as the Norris Arm Parish Records fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1949-1961 (Creation)
    Creator
    Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish (Norris Arm, N.L. : Catholic)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1953-)

Administrative history

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, located in the central Newfoundland community of Norris Arm at the southern end of the Bay of Exploits, was established in 1953. Prior to 1909, the community was served by the Whitbourne parish, and later attended to by the parish priest of Grand Falls. In 1912 Reverend William Finn was appointed priest of Grand Falls and built a school and chapel in Norris Arm. In 1930 Reverend James Hinchey became the first parish priest of Bishop's Falls with Norris Arm as a mission. Hinchey was succeeded by Reverend Joseph Hogan who supervised the construction of a new church, hall and school. In 1953 Reverend Michael Carey was appointed the first parish priest of Our Lady Of Mount Carmel Parish, Norris Arm, and served until 1965. During the tenure of Reverend Antle (1971-1979), the Sisters of the Presentation Order offered catechetical services to the areas not served by Catholic schools; At the time of formation in 1953, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish included the communities of Lewisporte, Twillingate, Boyd's Cove, Herring Neck, Too Good Arm, Loon Bay, Birchy Bay, Campbellton and Little Burnt Bay. Today, the missions of the parish include Boyd's Cove, Lewisporte, Twillingate, Herring Neck, Too Good Arm and other small communities.

Other parish priests to have served Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish since Reverend Carey's tenure include: Linus Coady (1965-1969); William Matthews (1969-1971); Aloysuis Antle (1971-1979); Ronald Bromley (1979-1984); Michael Ryan (1985-1988); William Van Klooster (1988-1991); Brendan J. McCarthy (1991-1996); Michael Hynes (1996-).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of confirmation cards (4 Nov. 1949, 4 Aug. 1950, 21 Nov. 1952, 21 Sep. 1954, 20 Jan. 1955, 12 Jun. 1959, 23 Sep. 1959, 28 Oct. 1959, 24 Apr. 1961).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access restricted due to conservation concerns.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 22, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area