Primary contactGrand Falls - Windsor, Newfoundland and Labrador
CA A2A 2J8
The present Diocese of Grand Falls extends from Shale Point, White Bay, South to Grey River along the South Coast to St. Alban’s area and on eastward to Conception Bay and all points in between, encompassing 30 parishes. The first Bishop, Rev John Dalton was appointed in 1856, initially residing in Carbonear. In 1860 Bishop Dalton moved the episcopal residence to Harbour Grace, a town second in political and economic significance only to St. John’s. Due to rapid economic and population growth in central Newfoundland, Bishop John M. O’Neill transferred the See to Grand Falls in 1953.
After moving to Grand Falls all Diocesan historical material was stored in a vault in the basement of the Diocesan Administration Building. On November 1, 1982 Sister Magdelen O’Brien of The Sisters of The Presentation was officially hired as Diocesan Archivist.
Researchers are required to register and become aware of the archives’ regulations.
All material must be consulted in the archival area and no original material may be taken from the building.