Fonds - St. Patrick's Parish (Plate Cove, Newfoundland) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Patrick's Parish (Plate Cove, Newfoundland) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Plate Cove Parish Records fonds

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001.

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1953 - 1963 (Creation)
    St. Patrick's Parish (Plate Cove, N.L. : Catholic)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

St. Patrick's Parish, located in Plate Cove on the Bonavista Peninsula, was established in July 1966. The community was first settled in the early 1800s, largely by Irish Roman Catholics from Bonavista and King's Cove. Settlement occurred on both sides of a cove, with the areas known as Plate Cove East and Plate Cove West. The communities were initially missions of Sts. Peter and Paul Parish, King's Cove.

In 1857, although there was a small Catholic school in Plate Cove East, the residents continued to rely on the church and school at nearby Open Hall or at the parish centre at King's Cove. Following the establishment of Plate Cove as a parish, Reverend Michael Hynes was appointed the first resident priest. In 1984 St. Patrick's Church was completely destroyed by fire. A new church was built in a more central location between Plate Cove East and Plate Cove West.

From 1990 to the present, St. Patrick's Parish in Plate Cove has been ministered to by assistants of the parish priest at nearby King's Cove.

Pastors that have served St. Patrick's parish since its inception include: Michael Hynes (1966-1979); Aloysius Antle (1979-1982); Gregory Pumphery (1983); William Hearn (1983); Larry/Lawrence George (1984-1989); Michael Hynes (1990-1992 parish priest of King's Cove; Sister Alice Dower PBVM assisted); William Houlahan (1993-1997 parish priest of King's Cove; Sister Sarah Moore, Sister Amelia Mooney and Sister Elizabeth Whelan assisted); Sebastian and Brian Colbert (1998-1999 parish priests of King's Cove; Sister Elizabeth Whelan assisted); Brian Dunn (1999- parish priest of King's Cove; Sister Elizabeth Whelan assisting as Administrator of Plate Cove).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of confirmation cards (30 Jun. 1953, 11 Apr. 1958, 7 Jul. 1958, 11 Jun. 1963,); confirmation card for Sweet Bay (3 Jul. 1953)

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

St. Patrick's Parish (Plate Cove, N.L. : Catholic)


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access restricted due to conservation concerns.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 11, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area