Title and statement of responsibility area
All Hallows Parish (North River, N.L.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Also known as the North River Parish Records fonds
- Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- All Hallows Parish (North River, N.L. : Catholic)
Physical description area
12 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
All Hallows Parish, located in the community of North River, Conception Bay, was established in 1906. Initially settled by fishermen of Irish descent, North River gradually expanded until, by 1840, there were enough settlers to merit a Roman Catholic school. By 1874 All Hallows Roman Catholic Church was built and was part of Brigus Parish. All Hallows Parish was established in the fall of 1906, with Reverend Stephen J. Whelan as the first resident parish priest. During his tenure a new church was started at North River and Bay Roberts, and several school chapels were constructed in other parts of the parish.
Schools formed an integral component of All Hallows Parish parochial organization. Over the decades schools, school halls and churches were built or renovated in the communities of the parish, including the construction of a convent for the Sisters of Mercy under the supervision of Reverend Joseph P. Hogan. During the tenure of Reverend Leonard Kelly, a new modern high school was constructed at Brigus to serve the two parishes of Brigus and North River.
The parish is composed of the following communities: Makinsons, South River, Clarke's Beach, Hallstown, Bay Roberts, Shearstown-Butlerville and North River. Currently, North River has missions in Bay Roberts (Holy Redeemer Church) and in Butlerville (in a school chapel).
Pastors that have served All Hallows since its inception in 1906 include: Stephen J. Whelan (1906-1923); George Tibeault (1923-1934); Michael Dinn (1934-1955); Joseph P. Hogan (1955-1971); Leonard Kelly (1971-1977); Frederick Terry (1977-1984); Richard T. Woodford (1984); Edward A. Walsh (1985-1997); William Houlahan (1997- )
Scope and content
Fonds consists of baptismal records (1944-1954); marriage records (1944-1951, 1953, 1954); and death records (1944-1952, 1954). The fonds also includes some confirmation cards (1951-61).
Records show signs of deterioration.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access restricted due to conservation concerns.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 6, 2013
Language of description