Fondos - St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, Newfoundland) fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, Newfoundland) fonds

Tipo general de material

  • Textual record

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

  • Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds.

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Código de referencia

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1918-1988, predominant 1963-1971 (Criação)
    Creador
    St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, N.L. : Catholic)

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

2 cm of textual records.

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1917-)

Historia administrativa

St. Francis of Assisi Parish, forming part of the Diocese of St. John's and encompassing the settlements of Outer Cove, Middle Cove, and Logy Bay (amalgamated as the Town of Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove in 1986), was erected by Archbishop Edward P. Roche in 1917. Prior to the establishment of the parish, Outer Cove and Middle Cove formed part of Holy Trinity Parish (Torbay) while Logy Bay fell within the jurisdiction of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish (St. John's). All three communities were served by visiting clergy.

Daniel O'Callaghan, first parish priest, oversaw the development of St. Francis of Assisi's infrastructure. The cornerstone for the first parish church, still in operation today, was laid in 1918 and the first mass was held in the new structure on 24 December 1919. During his tenure, Rev. O'Callaghan also supervised the construction of a parish school and presbytery.

Permission was granted from the Archdiocesan Building Projects Committee, in 1966, to begin construction on a new elementary school to replace the original school building. By this time, high school students generally attended Holy Heart and Gonzaga schools in St. John's. Today, St. Francis of Assisi School is no longer under church control as a result of denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

In 1989, the Recluse Sisters (Les Recluses Missionaires) established the Monastery of Mary, Mother of the Church in St. Francis of Assisi's original presbytery at the invitation of Archbishop Alphonsus L. Penney. The monastery was closed in 2001 because of a lack of vocations to the order. The Recluse Sisters were Newfoundland's first contemplative congregation and regularly made guest rooms available for private retreats in their monastery.; A Parish Council was established during the 1970s to aid the parish priest in the administration of his responsibilities and the parish's affairs. Committees reporting to the Parish Council have included Finance, Liturgy, Social Action, Men's, Women's, Youth, Religious Activities, and Cemetery.

Pastors who have served St. Francis of Assisi Parish since its inception in 1917 include: Daniel O'Callaghan (1917-1948); Robert A. St. John (1948-1968); Eric R. Lawlor, Parish Priest and later Administrator (1969-1970); David P. Morrissey (1970-1977); William K. Lawton (1977-1987); Francis Coady (1987-1993); J. Kevin McKenna (1993-1994); and John D. Hanton (1994- ).

Historial de custodia

Alcance y contenido

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish appointments and general affairs (1951-1971); financial statements (1918-1924); address to Archbishop Skinner (1951); photocopy of a property agreement (1969); canonical decree defining parish boundaries (1982); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1984-1988); and church bulletins (1988). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, N.L. : Catholic)

Arreglo

Idioma del material

  • inglés

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult Archivist.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Instrumentos de descripción

Box list available.

Materiales asociados

See Holy Trinity Parish fonds and Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds for records created prior to the establishment of St. Francis of Assisi Parish in 1917.

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

Further accruals expected.

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Minuta

Nivel de detalle

Parcial

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created - April 11, 2013

Idioma de descripción

  • inglés

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Tipos relacionados