Fundo - St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, Newfoundland) fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, Newfoundland) fonds

Designação geral do material

  • Documento textual

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds.

Nível de descrição

Fundo

Código de referência

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1918-1988, predominant 1963-1971 (Produção)
    Produtor
    St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, N.L. : Catholic)

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

2 cm of textual records.

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1917-)

História administrativa

St. Francis of Assisi Parish, forming part of the Diocese of St. John's and encompassing the settlements of Outer Cove, Middle Cove, and Logy Bay (amalgamated as the Town of Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove in 1986), was erected by Archbishop Edward P. Roche in 1917. Prior to the establishment of the parish, Outer Cove and Middle Cove formed part of Holy Trinity Parish (Torbay) while Logy Bay fell within the jurisdiction of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish (St. John's). All three communities were served by visiting clergy.

Daniel O'Callaghan, first parish priest, oversaw the development of St. Francis of Assisi's infrastructure. The cornerstone for the first parish church, still in operation today, was laid in 1918 and the first mass was held in the new structure on 24 December 1919. During his tenure, Rev. O'Callaghan also supervised the construction of a parish school and presbytery.

Permission was granted from the Archdiocesan Building Projects Committee, in 1966, to begin construction on a new elementary school to replace the original school building. By this time, high school students generally attended Holy Heart and Gonzaga schools in St. John's. Today, St. Francis of Assisi School is no longer under church control as a result of denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

In 1989, the Recluse Sisters (Les Recluses Missionaires) established the Monastery of Mary, Mother of the Church in St. Francis of Assisi's original presbytery at the invitation of Archbishop Alphonsus L. Penney. The monastery was closed in 2001 because of a lack of vocations to the order. The Recluse Sisters were Newfoundland's first contemplative congregation and regularly made guest rooms available for private retreats in their monastery.; A Parish Council was established during the 1970s to aid the parish priest in the administration of his responsibilities and the parish's affairs. Committees reporting to the Parish Council have included Finance, Liturgy, Social Action, Men's, Women's, Youth, Religious Activities, and Cemetery.

Pastors who have served St. Francis of Assisi Parish since its inception in 1917 include: Daniel O'Callaghan (1917-1948); Robert A. St. John (1948-1968); Eric R. Lawlor, Parish Priest and later Administrator (1969-1970); David P. Morrissey (1970-1977); William K. Lawton (1977-1987); Francis Coady (1987-1993); J. Kevin McKenna (1993-1994); and John D. Hanton (1994- ).

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish appointments and general affairs (1951-1971); financial statements (1918-1924); address to Archbishop Skinner (1951); photocopy of a property agreement (1969); canonical decree defining parish boundaries (1982); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1984-1988); and church bulletins (1988). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

St. Francis of Assisi Parish (Logy Bay-Middle Cove-Outer Cove, N.L. : Catholic)

Organização

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Script do material

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult Archivist.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Instrumentos de descrição

Box list available.

Materiais associados

See Holy Trinity Parish fonds and Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds for records created prior to the establishment of St. Francis of Assisi Parish in 1917.

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

Further accruals expected.

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Preliminar

Nível de detalhe

Parcial

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Created - April 11, 2013

Idioma da descrição

  • inglês

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Géneros relacionados