Title and statement of responsibility area
Anglican Parish of St. Paul, Trinity, Trinity Bay, NL
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Anglican Parish of St. Paul, Trinity, Trinity Bay, NL
Physical description area
65.5 cm of textual records
22 architectural and cartographic drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Anglican Congregation at Trinity dates back over 270 years. The Reverend Robert Kilpatrick established the first mission at Trinity in 1729, and it is generally thought that the first church was built at that time. On May 23rd, 1820 the pillars of a new church were laid. This church, similar in design to many English churches of the time, had an upstairs gallery and could seat over 600 people.
The present church was built in 1892. It was designed by American architect Stephen C. Earle and built by master builder Caleb Marshall. Two other churches of the same design are at Digby and Windsor, Nova Scotia. The church serves as the mother church of the Parish of Trinity.
The records were kept and maintained in the rectory of the parish of Trinity, and in St. Paul's Church.
Scope and content
The fonds contains records of the administration of the church of St. Paul's from 1874-1969, and includes the minutes of meetings of vestry, records of committees and boards, financial records, correspondence and invoices, vestry registers, clergy's records, some legal documents re the acquisition of land, and seating plans for both the old and the new church. Other records include photographs of the present and the former church, as well as portraits of many of the rectors of the parish; a full set of plans for the building of the church by architect Stephen J. Earle; a painting by J. S. Hayward of the Anglican Cathedral of St. John's; and visitors' books.
The records have been organized in 11 series according to form and function; Series 1: Minutes of Vestry, 1874-1958; Series 2: Committees and Boards, 1892-1945; Series 3: Financial Records, 1879-1964; Series 4: Correspondence, 1905-1960; Series 5: Vestry Registers, 1913-1921; Series 6: Clergy's Records, 1881-1969; Series 7: Legal documents, 1895; Series 8: Sunday School, 1904-1913; Series 9: Visitors' Books; Series 10: Plans and blueprints, [1892 - 1980]; Series 11: Photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
The majority of the records were donated by the Rector of the Parish of Trinity, the Rev. G. Colbourne, July 2000. The remainder were located in the Church tower. They were subsequently transferred to the archives.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The church plans, photographs and paintings will not be available until they have received conservation treatment.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Some of the material in this fonds may be protected by copyright. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright clearance when appropriate.
No finding aid available.
Photographs, 20" x 24" or smaller
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 23, 2013
Language of description