Title and statement of responsibility area
Thomas Andrew Hall fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on the contents of fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1835, 1840, 1913-1942 (Creation)
- Hall, Thomas Andrew
Physical description area
15 cm of textual records and photographs
1 photograph album
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Thomas Andrew Hall (1867-1944), engineer and civil servant, was born at Portadown, Ireland in 1867, son of William Hall. He married Harriet Robinson in 1907 and had one daughter, Doreen. Hall died at St. John's on 21 June 1944.
He was educated at Queen's College, Galway, and earned a B.A. and B. Eng. (honours) from the Royal University of Ireland. Following his graduation, Hall was employed as engineer on a variety of railway projects in England and Ireland from 1888-1906. Hall was a member of the Church of England.
In 1906, Hall was hired as Newfoundland's Government Engineer. During his career, Hall held a variety of positions in the Newfoundland civil service, including member of the Royal Commission on Newfoundland's High Cost of Living (1917), secretary to the Colony's Minister of Shipping (1917-1929), Government Railway Commissioner (1920), Chief Commissioner of Newfoundland's Highroad Commission (1925), Chief Engineer for the construction of the Newfoundland Airport at Gander (1935). Hall retired from public service in 1941.
Hall was awarded a C.B.E. in 1919.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of professional and personal fonds of T.A. Hall, predominantly documents and correspondence which relate to Hall's various building projects, including a hospital for the insane; Rose Blanche church; St. John's Cathedral decorations; Port de Grave breakwater; Rennies Mill Road church; Queen's College chapel; various blueprints including, the Church of England boys' orphanage (circa 1936), Placentia bridge (1941), Newfoundland airport, Humber Arm dam, etc. The fonds also contains personal correspondence, a sketchbook of people, images, and landscapes, a photograph album of the Argentia Naval Air Base, a travel log, and postcards. The fonds also includes the 1835 will of John Hall and a related letter (1840).
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from John Caines, Dealer.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File level access
See also 1144-1382, Caines Collection, "Newfoundland Airport". This material might belong to the Hall fonds.
No further accruals are expected.
The bound album measures 25 cm x 31 cm, and is hand-inscribed in black ink.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 26, 2013
Language of description