Title and statement of responsibility area
Assumption Parish (St. Mary's, N.L.) fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: St. Mary's Parish
- Source of title proper: Title based on correspondence in the fonds
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Assumption Parish (Roman Catholic), St. Mary's (NL)
17 cm of textual records
1 photograph: b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
Assumption Parish was established in 1834 and included the communities from Portugal Cove South to St. Vincents. However, Assumption Parish was divided twice. When Holy Redeemer Parish was established (ca. 1845), Portugal Cove South, Trepassey and St. Shotts were separated from Assumption Parish. In 1923, the communities of Peter's River, St. Stephen's, and St. Vincent's were removed from Assumption Parish to create Sacred Heart Parish. Assumption Parish currently includes the communities of Riverhead, Mall Bay, Coot's Pond, Path End, St. Mary's, Point La Haye and Gaskiers, with the parish church at St. Mary's.
The first parish priest assigned to Assumption Parish was Rev. James Duffy. However, priests visited St. Mary's prior to Father Duffy's arrival. Rev. Timothy Browne, for instance, who was stationed at Renews, performed 13 marriages at St. Mary's in 1825 and 1826.
By 1840 Rev. Duffy had established a church and school in St. Mary's; this church was dismantled in 1949 and rebuilt by 1950. Aside from the original school established by Rev. Duffy, a commercial school was opened in 1851. With the arrival of the Presentation Sisters to the parish in 1859, a convent school was established at St. Mary's.
Some of the communities in Assumption Parish also had their own church and school, including Riverhead and Mall Bay, which had a small chapel built sometime between 1895 and 1905 (replaced ca. 1963). Schools were also established in Mall Bay (1944), at the Gulch, Point La Haye (1943) and Gaskiers and Point La Haye (1951).
Parochial organizations in Assumption Parish included the Crusaders of Mary, the Children of Mary, the St. Anne Society and the Holy Name Society.
Bereik en inhoud
Fonds consists of sacramental ledgers, including baptismal registers (1843-1948), illegitimates baptismal register (1901-47), marriage registers (1844-98) and death registers (1891-97, 1927-75). The fonds also includes financial statements (1915-30); documents related to parish property and buildings (1955-78); correspondence (1951-79); parish documents (1891, 1915-19); and parish boundaries (1985). There are also addresses prepared for the Bishop's visits (1951, 1961); one photograph and related records.
Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities
Directe bron van verwerving
The immediate source of the fonds is Assumption Parish but additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Taal en schrift aantekening
English predominates. Some Latin documents included. No transcripts.
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
The following registers have been photocopied: St. Mary's baptismal registers (1843-1948); St. Mary's illegitimates baptismal register (1901-48); St. Mary's marriage register (1844-90); and St. Mary's death register (1891-97).
Restrictions on access
Restrictions on access apply. Consult the archivist.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Researchers are required to use the photocopied registers for conservation reasons.
Box list available
See Holy Trinity Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of Assumption Parish. As well, see Holy Redeemer Parish fonds and Sacred Heart Parish fonds for records on communities that were once part of Holy Trinity Parish.
Further accruals are not expected on a regular basis but the fonds remain open for the transfer of any additional material that may be forwarded.
Standard number area
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Regels of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Created - May 27, 2013
Taal van de beschrijving