Fondos - Burin Pastoral Charge fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

Burin Pastoral Charge fonds

Tipo general de material

  • Textual record

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

  • Source of title proper: Title based on content of the fonds

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Código de referencia

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1816-1996 (Criação)
    Creador
    United Church of Canada. Burin Pastoral Charge

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

32 cm of textual records

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1816-1996)

Historia administrativa

In 1817 Burin became a Methodist mission in the Newfoundland District of the English Wesleyan Methodist Conference under the supervision of the Wesleyan Missionary Society. Rev. J. Lewis was appointed the first minister of the mission. Conference minutes reports that in 1830, Sound Island, Rock Harbour, Oderin, Burgeo (renamed Chambers Island), Haystack, Haddock’s Brook, North Harbour, “and several other places” were visited.

The first Chapel in Burin was built at Parsons Point (reports of having a chapel and dwelling house were made in 1830) and was used until 1841 when a new one was erected at Church Rock. In 1843 the “old mission house was sold and a new one purchased”, and in 1844 a Chapel was reported being built at Bull Cove. In 1865 a second chapel was constructed and remained in operation until 1904 when the cornerstone for the third church was laid. The Church was officially opened in 1906.

The original organizational structure of the Circuit is not known but after 1874 the Burin Circuit was administered under a Sessions/Steward/Official Board organizational model. This structure continues until the present day.

The boundaries of the circuit shrunk as new missions were formed on Sound Island in 1850, Flat Islands in 1873, and Epworth in 1894. Although these new missions were formed, Burin ministers still travelled the Bay as needed. At the turn of the century Burin congregations were being listed only in the immediate area. In 1930 congregations are listed as in Collins Cove, Great Burin, Footes Cove, Bull Cove. In 2001 the Pastoral Charge consisted of congregations in Burin Bay Arm (Bethany) and Burin-Collins Cove (Zion).

Historial de custodia

Records remained in the Manse at Collin's Cove until they were deposited at the Conference Archives sometime after the conference archives was formed in 1966.

Alcance y contenido

Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are financial accounts, vital statistics, minutes, reports and membership information.

The records are arranged in the following series: Series 1.0 Baptism, marriage and burial records (1816-1985); Series 2.0 Membership records (1821-1884) (predominate (1821-1863); Series 3.0 Board and committee records (1873-1961); Series 4.0 Education records (1900-1927); Series 5.0 Annual reports (1994-1996), Series 6.0 Publications (1849);and Series 7.0 Financial records (1924).

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

Arreglo

Idioma del material

  • inglés

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Instrumentos de descripción

Conference archives inventory list, 1999. File level control.

Materiales asociados

Other records relating to Burin Pastoral charge are found in Epworth Pastoral Charge fonds, Rev. T. W. Atkinson fonds, contains copies of Baptism’s, marriages, and burials. Rev. Thomas Darby fonds contains entries of baptism’s, marriages, and burials, 1816-1887.

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Minuta

Nivel de detalle

Parcial

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created - April 24, 2013

Idioma de descripción

  • inglés

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Lugares relacionados

Tipos relacionados