Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anglican Church of the Ascension, Mount Pearl, NL
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Parish of the Ascension in Mount Pearl can trace its origins to a service of worship held on October 12th, 1952 in a converted garage made available by the late James Billard. This service was conducted by the Rev. Canon A. B. S. Stirling, then Rector of the Parish of St. Mary the Virgin in St. John's.
The first Church of the Ascension was opened on June 17th, 1956 on Park Avenue. Parish status was granted by the Diocese of Newfoundland on January 1st, 1964 and the Rev. R. T. Mercer was inducted as the first Rector on February 23rd of that year.
Throughout the 1960's and 1970's, the Church of the Ascension continued to grow and on September 24th, 1978 the second Church of the Ascension was dedicated on Smallwood Drive by Archbishop Robert L. Seaborn. On May 12th, 1983 - Ascension Day - the new Church of the Ascension was consecrated by Bishop Martin Mate.