Fundo - Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L.) fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L.) fonds

Designação geral do material

  • Material gráfico
  • Documento textual

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Source of title proper: Title based on church program found in the fonds

Nível de descrição

Fundo

Código de referência

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1883-1994, predominant 1952-1967 (Produção)
    Produtor
    Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove, N.L. : Catholic)

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

12 cm of textual records
5 photographs: b&w

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1833-)

História administrativa

Holy Rosary Parish (Portugal Cove) was established in 1833 by Michael A. Fleming, vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland. As a vicariate Apostolic, the ordinary hierarchy of the church in Newfoundland was not yet considered to be fully evolved and since, technically, a parish is a portion of a diocese, no parishes can be said to have existed prior to the erection of Newfoundland as a diocese in 1847. However, the term "parish" appears to have been used informally to refer to a geographic territory possessing a church and resident priest (the term "district" was sometimes used). Regardless of the terminology, 1833 marks the establishment of Holy Rosary as a distinct organizational entity. Prior to this date, Portugal Cove formed part of the District of St. John's which then included the communities of Torbay, Pouch Cove, Topsail, and Petty Harbour.

The first Catholic church in Portugal Cove was built in 1833. The cornerstone of the present-day church was laid by Edward P. Roche, Archbishop of St. John's, in 1915. Extensive renovations were undertaken in 1981 and the church was dedicated and reopened by Archbishop A. L. Penney on 9 March 1982.

The territorial boundaries of Holy Rosary Parish have evolved since its erection in 1833. Originally, clergy stationed at Holy Rosary were responsible for making periodic visits to most of the settlements on the south shore of Conception Bay. However, much of this territory (roughly from Seal Cove to Topsail) was dismembered from Holy Rosary Parish with the erection of St. Edward's Parish (Topsail) in 1877. In 1907, Archbishop Howley detached the territory of Twenty Mile Pond and Major's Path from the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish and annexed it to Holy Rosary, expanding its boundaries. In 1982, Holy Rosary was again dismembered when the community of St. Thomas was transferred to the newly erected Holy Family Parish (Paradise). Currently, the parish boundaries encompass the communities of Portugal Cove, St. Philip's, and the Airport Heights-Major's Path areas of St. John's.

Under the denominational education system, the activities of Holy Rosary Parish were intimately intertwined with Catholic schools operating within its boundaries, as the parish priest was responsible for their construction and upkeep. The first parochial school was built shortly after the establishment of the parish. By the 1960s, there were three schools in operation within the parish: Sacred Heart School and Roncalli School-Chapel in Portugal Cove, and St. Joseph's School at Windsor Lake. In 1968, Sacred Heart and St. Joseph's were closed and their students incorporated into Roncalli. Today, Roncalli operates as an elementary school and is no longer under church control due to denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

Pastors who have served Holy Rosary Parish since its establishment in 1833 include: Edward Troy (1883-1844?); Thomas O'Connor (1844?-1884); John Walsh (1884-1899); John T. Ashley (1900?-1911); Thomas Gough (1912-1934); Peter Sheehan (1935-1949); James T. Fennessey, Administrator (1950); James Loyola Lacey (1951-1979); James Hickey (1979-1986); Kevin J. Molloy, Administrator (1986-1989); Robert J. Ryan (1989-1996); and John McGettigan (1996- ).

In 2002, parochial affairs are directed by the Holy Rosary Parish Council and several committees and church societies, including the Finance Committee, two Service Committees, and two presidia of the Legion of Mary (this list is not exhaustive).

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish property, boundaries, building projects, finances, and general affairs (1907-77); records relating to parish property, including conveyances, bills of sale and boundary sketches (1883-1914); financial statements (1915-28); canonical decrees dismembering Holy Rosary Parish and erecting Holy Family Parish (1982); church programs (1982, 1994); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1965, 1984-87); and 5 black and white photographs. Fonds includes some photocopies and transcriptions.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

Organização

Idioma do material

  • inglês
  • latim

Script do material

Nota ao idioma e script

English predominates. Some records in Latin. No translations available.

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Instrumentos de descrição

Box list available.

Materiais associados

For records that predate the establishment of Holy Rosary Parish, see the Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds. For records relating to detached territories, see St. Edward's Parish fonds and Holy Family Parish fonds.

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Preliminar

Nível de detalhe

Parcial

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Created - May 9, 2013

Idioma da descrição

  • inglês

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Locais relacionados

Géneros relacionados