Fonds - Anglican Parish of Bell Island

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of Bell Island

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1870-2004 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Parish of Bell Island
    Place
    Bell Island, Conception Bay (NL)

Physical description area

Physical description

130cm of textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1843 -)

Administrative history

Church of England priests visited Bell Island from the shores of Conception Bay as far back as 1795. Bell Islanders seeking the Sacraments of Baptism and Marriage often went to Hr. Grace. The first known priest that came regularly to Bell Island was the Rev. Thomas Longhorne.

On Aug 12, 1843, Bishop Spencer consecrated the first church on Bell Island, the church of St. Mary the Virgin and in the fall of that year rev. Thomas Boone came to Lance Cove. In 1867 Bishop Field separated the Congregation from Portugal Cove and it became part of the Topsail Mission and 5 years later a new church was consecrated by Bishop Field. In 1903 a second church was built to serve the people of Wabana. St. Boniface was situated where the old cemetery is now located. Then in 1926 the cornerstone was laid by Bishop William White for the present church of St. Cyprians - Bishop and Martyr. This church replaced St. Boniface.
St. Cyprian's is the "headquarters" of the Anglican Church's on Bell Island with St. Mary's a part of the parish, however, all records are kept as a single unit.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Registers of baptism, Marriage, Burial and Confirmations. Also vestry Books, Financial Documents and Minutes of Meetings.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult with archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres