Title and statement of responsibility area
Bonne Bay Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada. Bonne Bay Pastoral Charge.
Physical description area
37 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Bonne Bay first appeared on the Methodist station list in 1873. Until 1885, Bay of Islands was also associated with the mission, and the title of the mission at times incorporated the names of both areas.
In 1874, Rev. Jabez Hill was appointed pastor for the mission. By 1881, Rev. W. B. Secombe was pastor, and the mission included Curzon Village (Woody Point), Shoal Brook, Rocky Harbour, Trout River, and French Point. By 1887, Rev. T. B. Darby was pastor, and he was supplied with a lay agent, John Campbell, to help in ministering to the geographically extensive mission, which stretched one hundred and fifty miles between Bonne Bay and St. Anthony.
The first Methodist church was completed at Curzon Village in 1887. It was replaced in 1925 with a new structure, Woody Point United Church, the new name reflecting both the Church Union and the community name change. Today, the church is known as St. Andrew's United Church. A church at Shoal Brook was completed in 1887 during the pastorate of Rev. Darby. By Church Union in 1925, a new church had also been built in that community.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are vital statistics, accounts, membership lists, reports, and published material; Records are arranged in the following series: Series 1.0 Baptism, marriage and burial records (1874-1980); Series 2.0 Membership records (1876-1933); Series 3.0 Board and committee records (1912-1976); Series 4.0 Education records (1887-1925); Series 5.0 Annual reports .- 1976-1995; Series 6.0 Miscellaneous records (1901-1997).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Archives inventory list, 1999.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 7, 2013
Language of description