Fundo - St. John Bosco Parish (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

St. John Bosco Parish (St. John's, Newfoundland) fonds

Designação geral do material

  • Desenho arquitetônico
  • Material gráfico
  • Documento textual

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds

Nível de descrição

Fundo

Código de referência

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1934-1979, predominant 1960-1979 (Produção)
    Produtor
    St. John Bosco (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

12 cm of textual records
2 photograph albums
1 architectural drawing
ephemera

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1934-)

História administrativa

St. John Bosco initially was established as a mission of St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's) in 1934, when a school-chapel was constructed to attend to the needs of the Catholic population of Blackhead Road, an area situated on a plateau to the southwest of St. John's Harbour (more popularly known as "The Brow"). Mass was first celebrated in the new school-chapel 25 June 1934. This structure served the mission until 1960, when a new building containing more classroom space and a larger chapel was constructed. Patrick J. Skinner, Archbishop of St. John's, blessed the new school-chapel complex and held the first mass there 24 September 1961. Members of the Presentation of the Most Blessed Virgin Congregation (Presentation Sisters) residing in St. Patrick's Convent administered the new school.

Archbishop Skinner raised St. John Bosco to the status of a parish 4 April 1964. Shortly thereafter, responsibility for St. Joseph's Mission in Blackhead (as distinct from Blackhead Road) was transferred to St. John Bosco Parish from St. Joseph's Parish (Petty Harbour).

In 1972, Blackhead Road was renamed Shea Heights in honour of Rev. Leo G. Shea, first parish priest of St. John Bosco, for his efforts in initiating improvements in the area. In 1986, Shea Heights officially became part of the city of St. John's.

Pastors who have served the St. John Bosco Parish since its establishment in 1964 include: Leo G. Shea (1964-1970); Francis Slattery (1970-1974); John Maddigan (1974-1976); John O'Deady (1976-1979); Joseph D. Barton (1979-1982); David Butler (1982-1986?); and John Corrigan (1986-1988?). The parish has been served by clergy from St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's) since 1988.

St. John Bosco's parochial affairs are administered by a Parish Pastoral Council and several committees, including Finance, Liturgy, Community Life and Social Action, and Youth committees. In addition, the Catholic Women's League is active within the parish.

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish building projects and general affairs (1960-79); canonical decrees establishing the parish and its boundaries (1964, 1982); land survey of parish property (1965) and an architectural drawing of the parish church (1969); 42 photographs, including an album presented to Archbishop Edward P. Roche at Christmas from the children of St. John Bosco School (1934), and an album documenting the funeral of Rev. Leo G. Shea (1970); and a St. John Bosco Day button (1984). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

Organização

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Script do material

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Instrumentos de descrição

Box list available.

Materiais associados

See St. Patrick's Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. John Bosco Parish.

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Preliminar

Nível de detalhe

Parcial

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Created - May 12, 2013

Idioma da descrição

  • inglês

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Locais relacionados

Géneros relacionados